[Blindtlk] Echolocation: How it Works

Larry Wayland lhwayland at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 9 00:09:36 UTC 2014

, ambient sounds bounce off objects and alert you to their presents. This
sound can be generated from your feet, cane, cars passing by or any other
sound being made.  Sometimes objects can block sounds which works very well
for locating objects as well. I know while walking along a curb in the
street where there is no sidewalk I can often detect a car parked on the
side of the street by sound bouncing off the car, or sound being block by
the car, or both.  A good way to see how this works really well is while
riding in a car put your window down. You will be able to tell every time
you pass a object. Sometimes these objects are mail boxes, sometimes they
are cars. This works best while traveling through residential neighborhoods.
It is still the same thing as echoLocation. I just don't think it is
appropriate to go around clucking like a chicken. Just sounds too weird.
Also have you all noticed this capability varies depending on the
atmospheric conditions?