[Blindtlk] Echolocation: How it Works

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Fri Sep 12 02:09:12 UTC 2014

You know, I never thought about introducing our kids to object perception,
what a great thing!  But, like you said, they automatically pick up on how
we do things and don't give a second thought.

One game my girls liked to play in middle school and high school was to
invite friends home, not telling them about their blind parents.  We got
reactions across the whole spectrum, and later, the girls used to tell us
about their reactions, a very interesting people study.

After my daughters and friends were grown, one of them told me in
conversation that when she first met us as a young child, she used to watch
to see if we would bump into walls and things, and when we didn't, she got
bored with the whole thing.  That really gave me a chuckle, hearing about it
years later.