[Blindtlk] canning food

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 21:58:41 UTC 2014

I am really impressed!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Jones via blindtlk" <blindtlk at nfbnet.org>
<blindtlk at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] canning food

Hurray for you, Julie.

I first canned back in 1985, and I still have that pressure cooker, too.
Yours sounds like a much better unit, but I had good success canning
apricots, cherries, rhubarb, and also made several batches of pickles.  I
got a book and read it to bolster my confidence.  The book is called,
Preserving The Fruits Of The Earth.

I was concerned about poisoning me or someone else with my home canning, but
didn't happen.  I followed safety and sanitary instructions.

I also did jelly later on with our berries, but I cheated on that one.  I
juiced the berries rather than boiling them down, and it made the
jelly-making go a lot faster.  It was also very easy to get the pectin off
the tops of the jars before sealing.

Have fun.