[Blindtlk] Being Disrespected: How to Handle

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 04:58:30 UTC 2014

Hi all,
If any of you used to watch Everybody Loves Raymond, Ray's mother is
an exaggerated version of Brandon's mother, living across the street,
and coming over every day to "help" in the home and criticize her
daughter-in-law to no end. You should see it.
Anyway, I wonder if you could find an activity around your house that
your mom is either very skilled at, or a chore that you hate, and
designate it for your mom whenever she comes to visit and wants to be
helpful? Maybe save your knitting, sewing or vacuuming for her visits
or request she prepare a favorite childhood meal, etc. Something small
but enough so she will feel needed and not try to intervene in other
areas?
I have a slightly similar situation with my mom in that she constantly
buys me new shirts thatI don't really need or want. I used to tell her
to stop, that I didn't want the shirts and didn't like going shopping
with her because she tends to micro-manage the entire process and
kinda treats me like a dressup doll rather than an adult woman buying
clothes with her. I shop with other sighted people like my sister and
friends, and it is a much more fun and mature process than it is with
her. Anyway, she got really upset and defensive. So what I decided to
do is insist on doing my shopping for necessities without her, but
when she comes over bearing new shirts, which are admittedly quite
fashionable, I accept them graciously, find some of my old shirts and
give them away to the homeless. She satisfies her need to dress up her
little girl, I get cool clothes and the homeless folks
benefit--everybody wins. Although she still asks me at least three
times per visit if I"need to do any shopping" because apparently I
don't shop enough when she's away. I try explaining that when I'm with
my parents, I want to have fun doing grown-up things with them and my
hubby not doing what feels like back-to-school shopping. But I
digress...
Cheers
Arielle