[Blindtlk] Thoughts on Daredevil

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 02:38:23 UTC 2015

I hope you don't mind me answering the question as a sighted parent of a
blind child.

 This is a brand new series. The only attachment to the movie a few years
ago is the same character from the same source material.

It is not that bad.  My daughter  who she is 11 is a fan. Yes the show is
violent but we monitor it.

She likes it as a blind person. She does explain to everyone that he has
super senses and isn't like other blind people. The goo that made him blind
also gave him the super senses. It really isn't possible for him not be a
'normal' blind person.  He also has the senses all the time. so even him
without his mask he is thought of as different..  He does have a white cane
but he doesn't really use the cane because some how he doesn't need it.
These powers are not logical in anyway.

It should note that we haven't gotten the audio descriptions to work yet on
our Apple TV, Even without the audio descriptions my daughter learned that
his powers are special powers and that is very clear to her.

There is a doctor who comments often that he shouldn't be able to do what
he does.

He uses braille and is very independent.  I don't think it is bad but again
I am not a blind person. My daughter seem to accept it.. She is very
sensitive to negative things about blind people in the media.

As last note it has been renewed by Netflix and there will be another
season. It is VERY popular in the sighted community.

The movie (and play) Into the Woods had really bad views of blind people.
Now that is disturbing.