[Blindtlk] Good techniques?

Tom Cramer tom.cramer1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:37:19 UTC 2015

Hello,

I think this question will be way too basic for everyone but I hope to
get some good techniques other than just being told to not be afraid
to ask sighted company to help me.  I think this is an important
skill, especially now that I'm trying to be more independent and do
more for myself.

I found I am not good at something very basic, like spreading.  I'm
talking about things like putting any kind of spread on bread or
multiple spreads on sandwiches.  I never really thought of it because
I'm generally always with family or friends and they always did it.
But when I was by myself, or when everyone just kind of did their own
thing and simply told me that the sandwich fixings were on the
counter, I realized how deficient I was in this skill.
I asked other blind people and they just said that they weren't afraid
to use their fingers to spread or that I could simply ask someone to
do it.

So, specific questions.
First, I use a knife but don't seem to get much stuff on it.  Any good
techniques to tell how much is on the knife or how much more to get?
Second, what about the actual spreading technique?  I find mine to be
uneven and yet I thought I covered the bread.
Finally, what do you do if you're doing a sandwich and want more than
just one thing like mayo and mustard and squeeze bottles aren't
available?

I know my family is happy to help me, and my friends haven't said
anything yet, but do I really want my friends doing something like
buttering bread or making my sandwiches for me?

Thanks for entertaining these very basic questions.
Tom