[Blindtlk] crossing streets during excessivly loud circumstances

Diane Vlasoff guide.dog.teams at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 03:29:01 UTC 2015

On 12/9/15, Judy Jones via blindtlk <blindtlk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> You have probably already thought of this, but are there alternate routes
> you can take?
>
> Judy

Hi Judy and Steve,

Thank you for your thoughts and insights!

The events at our Bowl have varied from simply loud to ridiculously
loud.  When I say ridiculously loud you would have to speak loudly or
even yell directly into someone’s ear to be heard just as if you were
in the front row of a rock concert.

I have in the past played Russian Rolette with my life when crossing
the streets near the Bowl but I seem to have developed a little more
common sense and won’t do that anymore.

So the typical techniques of speaking to or even locating the
existence of a sighted person from whom to request help would be
impossible for me as I have only a little light sensitivity.

I think the choice of going up a couple of streets to walk along the
highway will be my best option but still not an especially good one.
The side of the street with a sidewalk is in terrible repair and has a
very strange uncontrolled intersection.    Here I will be the only
pedestrian and will not have the opportunity to ask anyone for help.
We have no other streets with sidewalks from which to choose.  (That
is why I persist in walking along our bike/equestrian trail- it’s
usually the safest and highly traveled)

I wonder how someone who is deaf/blind crosses streets.  For in this
circumstance I am virtually blind and deaf.

Thanks again! Smiley face
BettyJo