[Blindtlk] Employment Question...

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 11:13:18 UTC 2015

I am a Commissioner for my state agency.  You only need a college degree, BS
or BA, to be hired.  A Master's degree will advance you on the pay scale,
but isn't required.  The degree does not have to be in rehabilitation.  Once
hired our agency provides the specific blindness training needed by all
staff.  This means that your first several months with our agency will be
spent 100% on training.

If you are interested in certifications, there is the NOMC for cane travel
instructors and the certification for literary Braille, sorry the exact
letter abbreviation escapes me at the moment.    National convention is a
good place to meet people from all different states, get a feel for how they
operate and find out if there are any job openings.

Are you considering relocation?  Each state is different in it's
requirements.  You'd have to contact the state in which you are looking to
know exactly what you'd need to work there.  Some states do require the
certifications you are thinking about and some do not.

Good luck!
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com