[Blindtlk] (no subject)

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Tue Jan 6 19:28:54 UTC 2015

Hi All,
  I just received my new cane (it is a folding ambutek (sorry I think I am misspelling it but have no motivation to go look up its spelling at the moment:)) and  just took it for a short spin. I love the longer length as I am finding  it is giving me more confidence when walking around outside as I am a fast walker and keep worrying that I will not find obsticles until too late. I have been using a cane that I was given about 10 or so years ago for practice  that was probably about 3-5 inches shorter than my new one and I found I was more apprehensive when walking with it. I love the feel of this new one as the length seems just about right for me and it feels really solid and firm when in use. I got one that was 52 inchs which comes right  to my lower lip. I also got the rolling marshmellow tip as I  find myself feeling more confident when the cane has more surface contact than it does wwhen tapping.

  Thanks to everyone for the help and tips for choosing a cane it really helped as there is just too much out there for someone relatively new to this.

  I am about 98% certain that I will switch to the cane when I retire my current guide and if I do so,  I am just about as certain that I will retire him this summer and make the change.

  One thing that I am planning to do  this semester, is to start using the cane to some degree while having my dog right with me so that I can get my students and colleagues used to seeing me with it so that the change is not extreme for anyone as I want my students to maintain their focus on me rather than on   changes in mobility devices:).
Happy Tuesday,
Chris