[Blindtlk] shopping from home was A Horrible Experience at Kmart

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 16:30:19 UTC 2015

I haven't read all the messages, as there were about 3,752, but I did want
to make one small comment about shopping that I think may have been
overlooked.

Generally speaking, women view shopping more of a social event.  We tend to
shop with friends and enjoy looking at and discussing the options.  There is
a lot of, "oh this would be cute with your pink purse" or "I just love this
fabric, but I don't think it would wash well."  We tend to shop longer.
Perhaps it goes back to the gather approach to living from our hunter
gatherer ancestors.

On the other hand men view shopping as a hunting mission.  You go in, get
what you need and leave.  There is little discussion, little window shopping
and little thinking about all the ways you could use this item or what pants
it will go with.  Men tend to go shopping with a specific item in mind and
come home with that item.  Women go in with the idea that we want pants, but
need to look at the options before deciding on what fabric, color, how many
pockets etc.  My husband wears the same jeans since he was a kid, Levi's
505.   Me, I want to see what's new, trendy or what will fit my aging body
more flatteringly than the jeans of my youth.

I do shop from home, but it is not the same experience as shopping in a
brick and mortar store.   I think we need to be respectful of each other and
our shopping preferences.

Julie