[Blindtlk] A Horrible Experience at Kmart

Ray Foret Jr rforet7706 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 17 17:51:34 UTC 2015

I have been following this thread with much concern from its beginning.  My view is this.  IF you call a store in advance to let them know you are coming and want to shop there, you might alert the employee to what kind of things for which you are looking and might want to buy.  So, you might perhaps begin by asking whether a given shop has this or that sort of item or that brand of merchandise.  IF their anser is yes, I suspect that they're more likely to be willing to help you out.  The only way I can frame this in ADA terms is to say that the store is obligated to assist any blind person who honestly needs the help and asks for it:  however, it works the other way too.  IF a store offers any accomidation and the blind customer does not want or need it, they have the right to refuse.  IN fact, if the ADA did not have this clause in it, the NFB would have opposed its passage.

Now, I don't say that a store employee should take all day on one person:  But, they should help as best they can.  The shopper, though, has a responsivility too.  That responsibility is having some notion of what you want even before you set foot in a store.  IF all you want to do is browse, then you'd be better off doing so with a family member or close friend who doesn't mind taking the time do acompany you for that purpose:  This way, you are not taking up the time of an employee potentially for nothing.

I wasn't there, but, I understand that, some years ago, close to the beginning of one of our national conventions, the manager of a local grocery store where we were indincated that he didn't want a bunch of blind people in his store.  I dare say some here will remember that episode and how we dealt with it.

Sincerely,
The Constantly Barefooted Ray

Still a happy Mac, Verizon Wireless iPhone 6+ and Apple TV user!

Sent from my Mac,
the only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-in