[Blindtlk] Remembering Color without Vision

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Tue Jul 28 01:54:29 UTC 2015

Hi All,
  Ok, this is probably a bit of an odd topic, but something I have always been kind of curious about.

  I once heard or read something that claimed that roughly seven years after losing total vision (if you lost that vision as an adult or I am guessing also as an adolescent), you will forget  what color looks like.

  I heard/read  This around the time that I lost the final amount of my vision.

  Even though it is now 15 years after I have lost all of my vision (yes, lost the remaining vision as an adult but VI from birth), I can still accurately recall what the various colors look like (though perhaps my memory of them has slightly skewed over time).

  Thus, I was curious if others who have lost their vision as adults or adolescents on this list still recall color (especially if you lost your vision more than seven years ago)?

  Just something I have always been curious about.

  If this idea has been tested, I would be really curious to know just how that was done:).
Happy almost Tuesday!
Chris

Dr. Christine M. Szostak
Assistant Professor of Psychology