[Blindtlk] AmbuTech graphite folding canes with roller tips

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Sun Jun 14 20:20:16 UTC 2015

Years ago, I was given just enough cane travel experience when losing my remaining vision to be able to prove I could travel safely enough to get a guide dog. At that time, I was taught the two-point touch (not sure if that is the proper name) and  was really under confident with it. I always felt like, well, what if there  is a slight drop between the two taps, I will completely miss it and trip. Likely a poor assumption at that time on my part, but it was how I felt and one of the reasons I was so against getting a cane. When I read the Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane book, I was introduced to the constant contact method and the roller tip and love them both for the exact same reason as Judy points out below. I love the full-time contact as it gives me much more confidence of what is directly in front of me at ground level.
Happy Sunday!
Chris

Dr. Christine M. Szostak
Assistant Professor of Psychology