[Blindtlk] Other forms of braille.

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Sun Jun 21 17:18:52 UTC 2015

The braille code we are all familiar with came into its own, as I understand it, in the 50s.  As a kid, I remember reading the Wee Wisdom magazine and seeing words written the old way, like near written n e-a-sign, r, or dear d e-a-sign, r.  Since I’m new to UEb, I think the e-a sign is being used that way again, but not sure if I’m remembering correctly.

I have a cookbook written in 1944, and it was written in grad 1 1/2 braille, which was popular then, not sure why.  I’ve seen an old King James bible written the same way.

I would like to see the New York Point braille system used in the early part of the 20th century, I’m a history buff anyway, and that would be fascinating to me.  I believe it was an 8-dot system, not sure about that either.  Would be very interested to hear from others with more knowledge.