[Blindtlk] Independent Living VS Amazon

Edward Green ergreen1981 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 17:40:31 UTC 2015

Hi Sherri,

This is always a tricky one.

Clearly it’s wrong for a site to use a lack of transparency to prevent you shopping around, which sounds like the effect of what Independent Living Aids do.  However, Amazon is not particularly profitable, and in many circumstances it’s going to be able to offer a lower price on common items than smaller distributers.

Whether talking scales fall into that category or whether Independent Living Aids is taking liberties is I guess a decision we need to take on a product-by-product basis.  Chris - I was  interested to see that for some blindness products Amazon charges more, which might go some way to answering the question in this instance.

Cheers,

Ed