[Blindtlk] Sewing for the blind

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Fri May 22 23:50:30 UTC 2015

I like the tape on pattern edge idea.  I have never used it, but been very
careful with the scissors to stay straight on the edge.  The only help I
need is when buying a pattern, have someone cut off the extraneous edges.
Patterns have a heavy dark line on their edges of the pattern, and if the
dark line is not right at the edge of the paper, the extra paper needs to be
snipped off.

If you do tape on the pattern edges though, make sure to also note any
matching notches on the edges of some patterns.  The notches look like
little peaks, and they are there to help you match up pieces when you start
to sew.  When you cut out the pattern, you cut around the peaks so your
pieces have the matching peaks.  Those are hidden in the seams of the
garment after sewn together, or you can snip them off.

Another thing I ask for help with is to have someone place pieces of scotch
tape marking the darts, if any, so I know which angle to sew, and how long
the dart is, and what type of darts.

You can also have someone read the pattern directions, or they scan in
nicely in the patterns I have used, or any optacon user can find them simple
to read.

A seam guide is great for straight seams, but when using one make sure you
don't vere when coming to a pattern notch but make allowance for it and stay
straight.

The only times when a seam guide does not work is if you are sewing around
the inside of a shoulder seam when putting in sleeves, or the front or back
seams of pants, for instance, or the interface in a neckline..

When getting ready to sew, a zipper for instance, I use an iron to make sure
material is creased where I want it, or I just pin the zipper in and let the
pins keep my material in place.  I always keep an iron and pins handy, in
case I have trouble getting the material to lay the way I want it to when
sewing.

The machine I have had for years has its own needle threader, but you can
use a wire loop threader with machines, and you can also buy machine needles
that have the slit in the side of the needle for threading.

I hope all this helps and is not too confusing.

Is anyone out there blind and using a surger?  I have never tried one, just
curious.