[Blindtlk] Online Dating

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sun May 24 18:00:12 UTC 2015

Some years ago, I signed up on one of the well-known online dating sites. I
had a membership for about a year. On my profile, I had it very clearly
stated that I am blind. I can't remember my exact words, but I did state
that I had a guide dog, and my picture was a shot of me and my dog in
harness walking on the GDB campus. I was working there at the time. Anyway,
this site had a pretty involved process, in which one aspect was a series of
questions you could choose from to ask potential matches. Two questions I
always chose were how do you feel about pets, and how would you feel about
your partner having friends of the opposite sex? I obviously had guide dogs,
and I also have cats sometimes. My best friend is a guy. Both those things
are nonnegotiable. You'd be surprised how many people those two questions
eliminated. I did get as far as phone conversations with a couple guys, but
it never went beyond that. the experience was fun in a way but frustrating
too. If I'd gotten as far as wanting to meet someone in person, I'd have met
them in a public place and would have had a sighted person I trusted be
there in the background to observe. I did have people look at the potentials
profiles and pictures.

Sherry