[Blindtlk] Don't ruin healthy eating when you travel

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri May 29 14:25:22 UTC 2015

I had shared this on the NFB Travel & Tourism Talk list, but since many of
you will be traveling to National Convention and other places during the
summer. This may help you keep on track.

Good morning everyone:

You may not know but I do a weekly e-newsletters. This week it is about
eating healthy when you travel. Since many of us will be traveling over the
next few weeks, whether it is the National Convention or any other getaway,
the information below will be very helpful.

Hope you enjoy it. Cheryl Echevarria - President, NFB Travel & Tourism
Division

Cheryl Echevarria, President

National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division

A proud division of the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"

www.nfbtravel.org <http://www.nfbtravel.org>

To join the talk list

631-236-5138

cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com <mailto:cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com>

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria

Travel is our specialty and offering the best of meaningful travel for all
ages is our passion!

http://www.echevarriatravel.com

reservations at echevarriatravel.com <mailto:reservations at echevarriatravel.com>

631-456-5394

Visit my website to get my FREE report, "Top 5 Good Reasons to Use a Travel
Professional"

I build my business on referrals. Please pass my details on to friends and

family members that deserve the best vacation that they can imagine

P.S. - Families of all sizes is my specialty. Whether you are just starting
out and looking for that romantic destination for your destination wedding
or honeymoon. Booking that planned family vacation to Walt Disney World or
that bucket list trip that Grandma  & Grandpa are planning for the family, I
would love to help you.

We have partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com
<http://www.braillesmith.com>  for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the
Secretary of the NFB of Alabama

I've noticed that as people become more conscious of how food affects our

health, leaving home can sometimes present challenges for those who want to

keep eating well, who want to avoid illness, or who have certain food

restrictions.

Here are some great tips from other seasoned travelers on how to enjoy your

culinary adventures without compromising how great you want to feel. I'd

love to know what your go-to tricks are for eating well on the go!

To your best trip yet,

Cheryl and Nelson

Trouble eating well when you travel? Try these tips!

One of the best parts of traveling is getting to taste and savor all kinds

of new and delicious foods, whether you're driving across the state or

flying across the world. And, without a doubt, it's fun to let go a little

and eat things you wouldn't normally eat during a week at home-that's part

of the freedom and excitement of being on vacation!

But we all know the feeling when we've had way too much for too many days

in a row: the total lack of energy, the bloating, the dehydration,

headaches, or hangovers, the pronounced jet lag, the increased

susceptibility to getting sick. All of these things can really get in the

way of maximizing your travel enjoyment. And if you're someone with food

restrictions, you know the added frustration of trying to find good food

that will be good to you, too!

The great news is that it's easier than ever to make the kinds of food

choices that will keep you healthy and energized while you're away from

your usual routine. Here are some simple ways to eat great while you're

taking in the best moments of your trip:

1. Plan ahead. Often when we're traveling, we're out of routine and aren't

eating at regular intervals. Sometimes we can go several hours without

eating anything. Contrary to the popular myth that you should hold off

eating to "save room" for a big meal, going for long stretches without

eating actually slows metabolism and causes your body to become sluggish

and tired and hang on to calories. Our bodies experience these periods as

"mini-starvations" and send our brains into panic mode. To keep blood sugar

stable and avoid energy lapses (which can then lead to overcompensating

with high-sugar or fried foods), aim for eating a little bit every couple

of hours while in transit and while you're out and about, in the form of

foods that are nutrient-dense and high in lean protein. Pack snacks for

easy access: nuts, seeds, hard-boiled eggs, firm fruits (like apples),

veggies and hummus, or natural fruit-and-nut bars.

If you know where you're staying, scout out restaurants in the area of your

hotel. Check with your hotel or resort to peruse menus and see what's

available. Once you arrive, you can use an app like [2]AroundMe to locate

healthier restaurants in your area. And check out these smart phone apps

that can help you [3]find gluten- and other allergen-free options while you

travel.

2. Don't forget the grocery store! A supermarket, and especially a local

co-op, can be your best ally while traveling. You'll have easy, cheap

access to fresh produce and bulk healthy snacks. You'll find a wider

variety of great foods that are free of gluten, dairy, and other common

allergens at a reasonable cost. Plus, many co-ops also have a deli where

you can get delicious sandwiches, salads, or wraps to take with you during

the day.

3. Your mother was right: get your greens and take your vitamins. While

you're traveling, your immune system is exposed to tons of new

pathogens-especially on airplanes and other mass transit. You want to make

sure your body has what it needs to stay healthy and fight germs and

process toxins. Don't forget to pack your multi-vitamin and your other

supplements! If you can't get ready access to fresh greens, consider

getting some powdered greens that you can bring with you and easily mix

into a glass of water or a morning smoothie.

4. Speaking of morning smoothies..if you're really dedicated to getting

your daily intake of fruits and veggies, you might even consider bringing

along a [4]travel blender. This might seem extreme to some, but consider

this: most of them are under $20, fit easily into a suitcase or the back of

the car, and can be just the thing to quickly make a power breakfast of

fruits, nuts, and vegetables that will keep you going all morning.

5. Drink way more water than you normally do. Planes and hotel rooms are

notoriously dry. Walking around all day expends energy and dehydrates.

Often people drink alcohol or sodas with meals, which also are dehydrating.

Drinking more than your usual 8 glasses of water a day will keep you

energized, hydrate your cells, keep your skin glowing, and will help flush

out toxins.

6. Drink less alcohol than everyone around you is drinking. This can be

challenging especially on business trips, where drinking is a familiar

pastime. But in addition to worsening dehydration and jet lag, tossing back

more than two drinks leads to more unhealthy eating. (A study from

the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that men take in an extra

433 calories on average from alcohol and food when they consume more than

two drinks!)

7. Try to get your eight hours' beauty rest. Easier said than done, I know!

But getting decent rest helps steady your metabolism, resets your adrenal

system, and boosts your immunity. Being sufficiently rested will make every

other choice you face on your vacation so much easier.

8. Try the "one and done" rule. Let yourself have treats and enjoy

them-just keep it to once a day. Get that gorgeous piece of chocolate cake.

Have an extra helping of steak fries. Order the thing that's happily doused

with butter, and love every single bite. And then, be done with the

less-than-healthy food for that day. There's always more.

However you decide to plan your meals on your trip, I'd love to help you

get there! As your travel agent, I can offer you insider tips on transport,

accommodations, and entertainment. If you're ready to start

planning, [5]contact me today. I can't wait to chat!

We Make Getting There, As Easy As Being There!

Cheryl Echevarria was awarded by Governor Andrew Cuomo

2012 NY State Disabled Entrepreneur of the Year!

We Offer the Best in Family, Romance & Luxury Travel Experience

We Advocate for all client through the National Federation of the Blind

(NFB.org)

&

American Society for Travel Agents (ASTA.org)

What makes us unique? Simple: serving families and couples in love.

Cultivating love is our passion. We know the joys and challenges of

bringing together a blended family and kids of all ages, and we are devoted

grandparents. We know this time is precious. We want to share our

experience with you, so you can sit back and enjoy your trip without

hassles and extra expense.

We also offer dedicated services for the legally blind traveler. Cheryl

Echevarria has been legally blind since 2001 from complications from

diabetes, and we are able to assist those who are low vision to totally

blind. Cheryl Echevarria is an advocate for the blind community not only

locally (within the United States with the National Federation of the

Blind), but also works with other destinations and suppliers around the

world for everyone to travel and enjoy life.