[Blindtlk] The stock market?

Michael bonsai1b at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 19 14:54:30 UTC 2015

Kevin,
I have been an investor for forty years, about ten of those as a blind
investor.  There are several things to consider, blind or not.  You need to
ponder your risk tolerance, your short term and long term financial goals,
your current financial position, as well as your age.  These are factors
that an experienced financial planner can help you assess.  But I am here to
tell you that nothing will replace your own financial knowledge.  You will
need to emerse yourself in reading materials, both from books to guide you
through the terms and lingo of the financial world as well as being
completely caught up on a daily basis of market and global trends.  If you
don't have the time or inclination to do the research required then by all
means use a full service broker who can help you navigate this field.  But
full service brokers generally charge two percent to buy and to sell stocks.
So one hundred shares of a fifty dollar stock will cost you two hundred
dollars to get in and out of the position.  Discount brokers such as
Fidelity charge seven to fifteen dollars for each trade.  Discount brokers
typically don't tell you what to buy, but they do give valuable research
information.  Many financial planners only have a Series 6 license.  This
only enables them to sell mutual funds.  A Series 7 license is required to
sell stocks. I  use NFB Newsline to read the Investor's Business Daily each
day, as well as national papers to keep me caught up on global news.  So
understand that stock trading involves risk, and your ability to stomach the
sometimes roller coaster ride will definitely determine what you buy and how
you buy it.  Individual investors have little or no influence on the market.
Only large investors such as insurance companies, pension plans, and mutual
funds move the market.  So understand that you will probably always be
lagging on information and gaining from action on this information.  So a
long term strategy is preferable to flash in the pan profits.  Buying very
high quality assets is essential.  Just be sure you understand that
different companies have different levels of risk.  The term for this risk
is the Beta.  The higher the Beta, the more risk associated with that asset.
Good luck.  Educate yourself. Have a plan. And buy only high quality assets.
It may be advisable to use a planner initially, but understand the way
planners make their money, whether it is a transaction cost for each trade,
an income stream from mutual fund companies for recommending their products,
or a fee independent of any trade influences what they recommend.  I would
recommend the latter.   Good luck.

Michael