[Blindtlk] Walking on city streets with no sidewalks

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 27 00:48:47 UTC 2015

I'm not in your shoes. If this is a fairly stable neighborhood, more and
more people will become used to your perigrenations, and more and more will
know when to leave you alone and when you really need help. Some people will
never "get it", but many will.
Where I work, the NLS building on Taylor Street Northwest, in Washington,
DC, there are lots of people coming and going. Some of them are not
well-educated or are from foreign countries. They have not seen blind people
out and about, trying their best to stay on rough sidewalks with obstacles
such as welfare lines, people standing around smoking, listening for traffic
and waiting for the light to change, etc. Therefore, very often someone
shouts at me to go right or left, and sometimes they have their directions
mixed up.
We didn't sign up for this, but we all have to bear "the blind person's
burden" and try to educate the public. In his recent interview with the BBC,
and maybe also in his NFB convention speech, Tom Bickford noted that
conditions have improved for blind people over his 58 years in the NFB
because we are getting out there into the world. If we all rode paratransit
or sat in our self-driving cars, less people would learn what blind people
can do.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com