[Blindtlk] Walking on city streets with no sidewalks

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 01:53:15 UTC 2015

Thanks, Steve. This is really helpful. I had not thought about using
the slant as a landmark. Although Seattle is very hilly so that
technique might not be as reliable here, but I will definitely pay
more attention to the slant next time. I may try the bus stop there
again. The streets are not in my immediate neighborhood. It's an area
about a mile from my home that I visit periodically to go to the bank
and run other errands, like maybe once a month. So I am not sure how
often people see me more than once. I think that just because I am an
introverted person I hate being the center of attention and especially
having a bunch of people (not just one here and there but several at
once) all worrying over me just makes me feel really awkward.
Especially if they stop their cars or get out. I know being blind I
have had to get used to attracting attention even though it can be
unpleasant. It is also hard if I do ask someone for a simple piece of
information or confirmation ("Is this next street 28th Ave?" and they
take it upon themselves to tell me how I'm in the middle of the street
or want to follow me to my destination or something like that instead
of just answering the question. This is a problem on sidewalks, too,
but there is something about me walking on the street that seems to
just unsettle people. It is reassuring to know that other blind people
travel confidently in areas without sidewalks.
Arielle