[Blindtlk] Walking on city streets with no sidewalks

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 06:51:07 UTC 2015

Wow!  This sounds so familiar, Arielle.

I, too, am in Seattle, and I live in an area where one part of it does not
have sidewalks and the other part does.  Of course, the part that does have
the sidewalks is the one I don't need.
In fact, a newspaper reporter did an article about the lack of sidewalks in
this neighborhood, and I was interviewed, and pictures were taken of me
walking along the street.  That must have been eight or nine years ago.
What Steve and Lloyd have told you is right on.  I mainly walk along the
edge of the street as well.  And, like you, I get well-intentioned people
ask if I need help.  That doesn't happen much any more, because I've been in
this area for years and people have gotten used to me and figure I know what
I'm doing.
In fact, one time, it was a disadvantage, because there was something going
on with that street, and I had no idea exactly what was going on or what to
do.  Nobody was around to help.  Eventually, I was able to get past that,
but that was one time when I did wish passers-by or neighbors had seen me.
Then again, maybe they were already used to me and figured I'd know what to
do.  Who knows?

Follow what Lloyd and Steve have said so far though.
And, as hard as it is to do, deal with the well-meaning folks as gracefully
as possible.  It'll be good in the long run.
Jim