[Blindtlk] Corporate Sponsorship of Blindness Conventions was RE: non 24

Bob Hachey bhachey at verizon.net
Wed Jan 6 19:14:02 UTC 2016

Hi all,
I too have very mixed feelings about corporate sponsorships of conventions
of consumer organizations such as NFB and ACB. For those who don't know, I
am a member of ACB and am a long-time leader in our Massachusetts affiliate.

Somewhere around 6 years ago, ACB began doing more corporate sponsorships
including featuring the sponsors prominently in the convention program. My
first knee-jerk reaction was something like "gag me with a spoon."
But then I more carefully considered the rising costs of things like hotel
rooms, meeting rooms and food at hotels. For those of you who attend either
convention, have you noticed that room rates have risen only slightly over a
long period of time? Without corporate sponsorship, this would not be
possible unless we expect our organizations to subsidize the events at an
even higher percentage than they do today.
Also, I happened to take a close look last year at how much it costs to
register for other conferences such as AER. My first thought upon seeing
those costs was that many members of either consumer organization would find
such costs prohibitive.
Frankly, I tend to be biased against corporations, especially the larger
ones and the ones in the finance and banking industry. I have been known to
blame some of our largest banks for the depression of 2008. I happen to
believe that corporations have way too much power and that they rule both of
our major political parties.
But, like it or not, consumer organizations of the blind must operate in
this environment and that means either finding other sources of funding or
considerably increasing convention prices. One of the largest sources of
those other funds happens to be corporate sponsorships. While I don't
personally like it much, I do believe that both NFB and ACB are doing what
they must in order to try to keep cost down. Incidentally, Bay State council
of the Blind is now doing the same thing. It's called survival in the
Corporate States of America.
Bob Hachey