[Blindtlk] Non 24, Sleep Problems, and how our blindness weighs in

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 02:16:04 UTC 2016

I used to work in admission at Guide dogs for the Blind. We received many
calls from newly blind adults whose eye doctors told them to "go get a guide
dog". These blind adults had received no training, many never left their
home, they couldn't even walk down their sidewalk on their own. But their
doctors, who are in the business of sight, had no idea what to do with them
or how to advise them, so they'd just tell them to go get a dog. I had some
of the most emotional, on both sides, conversations with these people, who
were distraught and desperate. I'd give them advice, tell them where to get
assistance in their area, rehab agencies and such, emphasize the importance
of O&M training, tell them about the NFB even giving them the contact info
of their state affiliate if I could find it quickly enough. I knew GDB had
done a huge campaign to ophthalmologists, with brochures and stories, trying
to teach the docs that they can't just tell people to go get a dog. And I'm
sure the Federation has done that kind of thing too, trying to educate the
professionals. We still have a long way to go. sometimes, I'd get off those
calls and have to get up and take a walk for a few minutes and thank my
lucky stars for my incredible parents. Once in a while, some of those
callers came back, after getting blindness training and mobility and all,
but often they never called us back anyway. I still remember some of those
calls and hope those people got their training and are now living happy full
lives, running around with their long white canes, or with dogs from
somewhere if they prefer. But I certainly wanted to call every eye doctor
who told them to get a dog, and give them a good verbal shake up!