[Blindtlk] {Spam?} Government Program For first Time Home buyers with Disabilities Re: blindtlk Digest, Vol 115, Issue 12

Kathy Ungaro icbv at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 19 03:51:31 UTC 2016

Chaim, I Goggled this from your message:  "first-time home buyers who have disabilities"
I came up with the following:
>From the Department of Housing and Urban Development
 HUD's Homeownership Voucher Program assists disabled and low-income individuals and families by subsidizing monthly mortgage payments or rent payments through vouchers. The first step is to contact your local public housing authority, or PHA. Unfortunately, many PHAs don't offer homeownership as an option. HUD does have housing counselors in every state who are certified to assist individuals with special needs and they may be able to guide you to other programs that help fill any gaps. For a state-by-state listing of HUD-approved counselors, go to hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcs.cfm.
>From the Social Security Administration
 Social Security offers a supplemental security income program called SSI to help the disabled pay expenses, including housing expenses such as winter heating bills, homemaking assistance such as grocery shopping and other supportive-living accommodations. All SSI funding is based on financial need.
>From Fannie Mae
 The Fannie Mae Community HomeChoice program, available in all states, offers disabled borrowers low down payment programs, mortgage-qualification aid such as lower debt-to-income requirements, lenient credit evaluations and the ability to include rent payments from boarders in income calculations.
>From Habitat for Humanity
 Habitat for Humanity is another option. In addition to building homes using volunteers, the organization helps with down payments and mortgage payments and is intimately familiar with fulfilling needs of the disabled such as zero-step entries, wide doorways and other mobility-friendly features. The decision to help you is made by the family selection committee from the local Habitat for Humanity affiliate. (But you needn't have a family to qualify.) You'd better get moving, however. It takes an average of 18 months for Habitat owners to gain occupancy after initial application. Visit Habitat.org.
Federal and nonprofit programs for disabled veterans
 Disabled veterans have additional options, including the Veterans Affairs' Specially Adapted Housing grant program offering up to $67,555 (in fiscal year 2014) toward a home purchase or remodel, and the Homes for our Troops nonprofit, designed to help permanently injured vets buy or retrofit homes.
Help from state agencies
 Some states offer ancillary assistance, such as Maryland's Homeownership for Individuals with Disabilities Program, featuring low-interest loans. Connecticut's Home of Your Own Program offers below-market interest rates to disabled first-time homebuyers, while Alabama exempts the disabled from paying ad valorem taxes. Visit disabled-world.com/disability/finance/american-home-loans.php for a state-by-state rundown.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/programs-help-disabled-persons-buy-homes.aspx#ixzz3xeq2D5Ps
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook
I hope this helps.
Thank you,Kathy Ungaroicbv at sbcglobal.net

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 12:59:25 -0500
From: Chaim B. Segal <chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net>
To: blindtlk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Blindtlk] Government Program For first Time Home buyers with
    Disabilities

Hi All:

I am asking the following question on here with extreme caution. Knowing that in the past, some members of the NFB have not been in favor of blind people getting discounts and certain special treatment, I hope I will not come across as looking for a handout. Being a member of Nagdu, I am aware that I have at-large membership status at this point.

At this point in time, my wife and I need to leave our rented town house within the next two months. My wife works at home as a reservationist for Red Roof Inn, and I work part-time with a decent hourly wage doing marketing and customer service for Sinclair College, Dayton, Ohio's prominent community college.
Unexpectedly, we are finding it extremely difficult to find a suitable place for rent. We do not have any children at this point, though I am a guide dog user and we have one pet cat. I intend to cultivate my hobby of composing and recording music, and she has a rather sentimental collection of music boxes and other assorted items. We have been married for around six-and-a-half years, and feel the time is right for us to purchase our own home. As of last Friday, I have been pre-approved for a mortgage through my nearby bank, which happens to be a reputable credit union. With our income, it will be rather tight to handle albeit doable if we are careful. However, I want to shop around to see if we can get a better rate of interest elsewhere. Parenthetically, my wife has never established credit yet, largely because she has never wanted a big-name credit card. I plan to help her in that regard in the near future, because it seems that a lot of important decision-making on the outside regarding business is based on one's credit score.

Anyway, I have been hearing here and there that the Federal Government has a program in place for first-time home buyers who have disabilities. My realtor, who has shown us a few houses so far has no knowledge of such program. Yesterday, I tried researching FHA online, but was forwarded on to Hud. I called Hud, and they cannot seem to give me any information about this program.

Does anybody on here know anything about this program? Is there a particular bank or lending institution which has a good track record of dealing with blind clients?
Any suggestions and advice from anybody on here who has been through the process of purchasing a first home will be extremely welcome at this point. As I am behind on list messages in Digest mode, please send any responses to the list at large with a carbon copy directly to me at chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net.

Thanks!

Chaim

Chaim B. Segal
Contact Marketing Representative
 Sinclair Community College
Dayton, Ohio

Every Man, woman, every boy and girl,
Let your love light shine, make a better world.

Daryl Hall And John Oates

Sent from my Braille Sense U2 Mini

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 14:05:01 -0600
From: Daniel Meek <dmmeek at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Government Program For first Time Home buyers
    with    Disabilities

Chaim,
I've heard that the MyCommunity home loan program, offered by Fannie
Mae, offers different guidelines for home buyers with disabilities.
However, I have never used this program and I don't really know much
about it.  Here is a link I found that describes the program
http://mymortgagebrokerage.com/post/fannie_maes_my_community_loan_program_140.htm
.  Hopefully, it will get you started in the right direction.  Enjoy
your first home!
Daniel