[Blindtlk] UBER DRIVER FACES CRIMINAL CHARGES

Annely Rose annely53r at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 05:18:26 UTC 2016

And there was another incident in Orlando, Florida last week with a Uber driver refusing a ride for a Lighthouse Central Florida employee and her dog who were taking some vision impaired kids on an outing.  A 10-year-old girl, who was on TV, had to witness these actions.  I believe the driver was suspended while being investigated.  That's a second one in Orlando, Florida since the NFB convention.  Where is the training of these drivers?

Annely

 Fantastic! Please keep us
 updated!

 Sent from my
 iPhone

 9:20 PM, David Andrews via blindtlk <blindtlk at nfbnet.org>
 wrote:

 > NEWS RELEASE
 > FOR
 IMMEDIATE USE
 > FROM: Tennessee
 Association of Guide Dog Users
 > DATE:
 July 18, 2016
 > TO: All Media
 > RE: Criminal Case Against Uber Driver
 > CONTACT:
 > James
 Boehm

 secretary at nfb-tn.org

 > UBER DRIVER FACES
 CRIMINAL CHARGES

 On April 28, 2016, James Boehm and his guide dog Shep were
 left stranded at an animal hospital in Murfreesboro, TN. An
 Uber driver defiantly squealed away, refusing to transport
 the guide dog team home.

 > "I was distraught and infuriated all
 at once!" stated Mr. Boehm, who filed a police report
 with the Rutherford County sheriff's department. After
 an investigation, the state Attorney filed charges against
 Rolonda Douglas. The hearing is scheduled for August 9th,
 2016 at 8:00 a.m. at the Rutherford County Judicial Building
 located at 20 North Public Square.

 > "This case is so important because it
 sets a precedent for all Uber, Lyft, or other taxi
 drivers," says James Boehm.  "If they
 discriminate against a service animal user, the violators
 will be prosecuted."

 > Members of the National Federation of the
 Blind of Tennessee and their guide dogs, along with other
 service dog users from around the state plan to attend the
 hearing to support the cause. "Such incidents occur far
 too often and we want to present a strong,united front in
 support of this case," says james Brown, president of
 the NFB of Tennessee. "We want to make a statement that
 such discrimination is not acceptable.

 > Not only does the Americans with
 Disabilities Act make it clear that disabled individuals
 have the right to be accompanied by a service dog, Tennessee
 statute 62.7.112 strengthens the ADA by providing criminal
 penalties for such discrimination. As a Class C misdemeanor,
 violating the civil rights of a disabled person accompanied
 by a service dog is punishable by up to 30 days in jail
 and/or a fine of up to $50. (The entire text of the
 Tennessee statute accompanies this release.)
 > # # #
 >

 > About the National
 Federation of the Blind

 >          The National Federation of
 the Blind is the oldest and largest organization of the
 blind in the United States. The NFB knows that blindness is
 not the characteristic that defines you or your future.
 Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because
 low expectations are the obstacles between blind people and
 our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not
 what holds you back. The Federation provides scholarships to
 blind students; support for those who are blind or losing
 their eyesight; advocacy for the blind facing
 discrimination; and educational programs for the general
 public on topics of blindness. The NFB is not an
 organization that speaks on behalf of the blind; we are the
 blind speaking for ourselves.

 > About NAGDU

     The Tennessee Association of Guide Dog Users (TAGDU)
 is a strong and proud division of the National Association
 of Guide Dog Users. The National Association of Guide dog
 Users is the nation's leading membership organization
 for blind people who use guide dogs.  NAGDU is a strong and
 proud division of the National Federation of the Blind.
 NAGDU conducts public awareness campaigns on issues of guide
 dog use, provides advocacy support for guide dog handlers
 who face discrimination, supports sound policy and effective
 legislation to protect the rights of guide dog users, offers
 educational programs to school and civic organizations, and
 functions as an integral part of the National Federation of
 the Blind. For more information about the National
 Association of Guide Dog Users and to support their work,
 you can visit their website at

 > <http://www.nagdu.org/>HTTP://WWW.NAGDU.ORG
 >
 > Or send an email
 message to

 <mailto:Info at NAGDU.ORG>Info at NAGDU.ORG

 blindtlk at nfbnet.org
 > To unsubscribe, change your list options
 or get your account info for blindtlk:

 http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindtlk_nfbnet.org/jessicac.kostiw%40gmail.com