[Blindtlk] Keeping House Independently

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Mar 15 19:19:54 UTC 2016

I do most of the housekeeping.  Husband does the dishes because I loathe
dishes.  Getting everything to a schedule has been the biggest help.  There
are even aps where you can set up recurring reminders for every day or week
or month or whatever.  I used one of those, home routines, for about a year
before it felt like I had made a habit of it.

I have a Swiffer.  I made crocheted covers for it, which I think work better
than those paper thingies.  They also can be tossed into the washing machine
and reused for years.  Mostly I use the vacuum though.

If you want to transition away from the once a month housekeeper, could you
tag along as she cleans, asking questions about what she's doing or what you
missed?  Then you'd know what's going just fine and what you could add to
your routine.   It would give you the information you are wanting and
eventually you could figure those things out and wouldn't need her
anymore...unless, of course, you want to keep her for the convenience.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC