[Blindtlk] funding for assistive technology

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Mon May 16 02:40:11 UTC 2016

Good evening everyone,

	Computers for the Blind has next to nonexistent tech support
andrecycles back-dated equipment. We won't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

	The best financial assistance we've found for buying assistive
technology is that we create ourselves i.e. looking for ways to raise the
needed funds and ceasing opportunities to do wo when they come your way. In
the early days we depended on our state agency to buy assistive technology;
the welfare approach. Today we buy it out-of-pocketthe the free enterprise
approach.  We strongly urge others to position themselves to do the same.
Bitter experience taught us that it's far better to be incomplete control of
the buying process than to hand it to others.

Peter Donahue