[Blindtlk] Questions about getting assistance in airports

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Sat May 28 20:54:36 UTC 2016

Yes, and there is a difference between assertively asking for assistance you
need and being forced to accept assistance you may not need.  The obvious
example for me is being forced into a wheelchair when I can walk  quickly
for miles if I need to do so.  I have no problem with getting onto one of
those electronic carts when changing planes because some terminals are
immense and sighted folks use those carts as well and they can be a much
faster means of getting to your next gate.  But if I am presented with a
wheelchair, I usually kid about needing the exercise and gently let the
helper know that I can keep up with him/her and it will be easier for both
of us if we just walk together.  That often works.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.