[Blindtlk] Any blind property appraisers out there?

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Tue Nov 22 14:34:43 UTC 2016

Amen, best answer.

From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Julie J. via blindtlk
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:23 AM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Cc: Julie J.
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Any blind property appraisers out there?

I don't understand why it would be discounted as a career because no other blind person is doing it?  Someone had to be the first for everything.  I don't know much about home appraisal, but if this is something he really wants to do, then he should explore it and see if it is possible for him.

I had a client once tell me she wanted to be a photographer.  Personally I felt like she was picking the most visual career possible to test me to see what I'd do.  So I told her the honest truth, I had no experience with that and she'd have to do a lot of research to figure out how to make it work.
She moved on to other career options, but we established early that I wasn't going to tell her no, but also that she was going to be responsible for the majority of figuring things out.  I'd be there to coach and support, but it's the client's life and they need to be in charge of it.

I think blind people get told way too often what is possible and what should be left to the sighted folks.  I think after acquiring good skills and a positive attitude, it's time to figure things out for yourself.  Technology is constantly evolving, making new things possible and old things newly possible. It's also a normal part of being a young person to  go through several job/career options before settling on one.  Ask a 5 year old what they want to be when they grow up and they will tell you doctor, police man, teacher or something similar.  As people grow and mature they learn about themselves and get more refined ideas.  Perhaps this young man exploring home appraisal will lead him closer to what he ends up doing.

Yes, we need to be real, but I think real is something uniquely distinct to each of us.  I was told that blind people can't train guide dogs, had I listened my life would be substantially different.  I'm on dog  4, wrote a book, have an entire business of dog things and help other people train dogs.  I've always loved dogs and wanted a career in the area.  I went to college to study veterinary technology.  That didn't go well, partly for blindness reasons and partly for life reasons, but it did help me to move closer to my dreams.  I took a detour and did a lot of other things before returning to my passion as employment and I'm very glad I did. We can't predict the future and we don't know how the knowledge and connections we make will come together in the future.  So I've learned to take advantage of every opportunity, every chance to do something new, to stretch my own ideas of possible and to be welcoming of being wrong because it means more is possible than I believed.

I set out to write a short note...that didn't happen.  Still I'm leaving it all here.  I welcome thoughts, ideas and commentary, even the ugly sort.  I can learn from all of it.

Julie
New lowered price on my book: