[Blindtlk] white cane day

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 23:43:38 UTC 2016

This article bothered me as well. I don't like the idea that others
have a responsibility to watch out for me and my white cane. I don't
use a white cane to signal to others that I am blind and need special
treatment. Instead, I use it to gain vital information about my
surroundings so I can be in control of my own travel. Of course it is
helpful if people step out of the way, but I also recognize my
responsibility to be listening and paying attention to the presence of
people around me, and to the extent I can, to listen to car behavior.
If I am distracted, which happens from time to time, I may bump
someone and that's my responsibility. I actually don't like it when
people jump out of the way upon seeing my cane; instead, I would
rather they simply continue their conversation or make a subtle sound
so I can recognize and go around them. The signal value of a white
cane can help drivers understand not to rely on visual signaling when
they communicate with me and I am glad for that, but that really isn't
the main purpose of a white cane. It also doesn't bother me if
somebody doesn't know what my cane is for. I don't go around expecting
sighted people to instantly know everything about blindness, and I am
happy to explain it to anyone who wants to know. I guess this article
rubbed me the wrong way because it suggested a kind of entitlement
view of blindness, and especially the implication at the end that we
should stay home was unfortunate.
Best, Arielle