[Blindtlk] The OA

Ellana Crew eemcrew at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 20:29:04 UTC 2017

Jen,

She is not. The actress is sighted, I think particularly because the character is only blind for a very short portion of the story.

Julie,

I definitely agree with all that you have said here. I still think it is honestly quite the improvement from what we usually see, and while it's definitely not perfect and they seem to still be lacking some and some other education, I do think it's definitely a step forward. I'm hoping that overtime we will get better and better at writing blind characters in the media, as this seems to be proof that it is at least moving forward in noticeable Waze. We are getting there, one step at a time, I think.

I think her complacency with excepting so much help and not standing up for herself more did have more to do with lack of education on the writers part rather than an attempt to show how insidious internalized messages can be to your self-esteem and independence because of the way it was portrayed, but I think they did try and did do pretty well with some pieces. I like that even after her sight had returned, she still used her computer with her screen reader and didn't turn it off right away because it didn't bother her, even if she didn't need it anymore. I also like that while the world seems to be making a huge fuss about her all the time, she seems bothered by that and not really interested in indulging there of session with the story of her eyesight.

So I think I agree--it has its flaws and could always use improvement, but so far, I think it's a good step toward getting to the right place with blind characters written by non-blind writers, and there are lots of pieces that demonstrate and evolving portrayal of blindness. I especially like how they showed her doing lots of cooking and cleaning all on her own without the slightest need for assistance and just getting right into the ingredients and checking everything out and just picking things up and just doing it, and without making a major fuss about it or asking a bunch of questions about how exactly she did it. They showed all they needed to show, without quite making it look like something that was worthy of being called amazing or inspiring, just ordinary. They also never show her having any difficulties with grooming herself, or eating, or tripping over things, which is really nice not to see, so I have enjoyed it more than I have been bothered by it.

Ellana Crew, Vice President
Maryland Association of Blind Students