[Blindtlk] teaching class

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 03:23:53 UTC 2017

What age-group?  What class?  How long a period, a class period or a
workshop environment?

The skills I picked up as a teacher at first were through my training at
University of Northern Colorado, and to end there, 18 quarter hours of
student team teaching.

Then the years of classroom experience I had added to that.  I taught German
and Spanish for several years grades 5 through 12 in a rural southwestern
Kansas town and loved it.

Generally speaking, I am a great believer in a lesson plan, and I have used
a similar guideline even in presenting workshops and planning any speaking I
have done.

Think of activities that will engage your students, and do your best to
figure how much time each will take.  Prepare any written
worksheets/materials to be used ahead of time.  Since people are very
visual, if you have any video shorts, incorporate those.  When you start
timing your activities, you may be surprised either how much time you have
left over, or how much time you won't have and have to do some elimination.
It is always better to plan too much and not use it, rather than have dead
air time, so to speak.

If you are showing posters or pictures, it is a good idea to braille labeled
the back of the visuals so you could discuss them.  Knowing my visuals and
showing them was important in teaching the language.

Hope these general guide-lines help.