[Blindtlk] teaching class

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:37:22 UTC 2017

It is Important to either know your classroom , its seating type and layout, even if you can get in there beforehand. If not, maybe at the beginning of class. however you do it, scope out your class area. In order for a blind person to keep track of anything, whether it be the front yard, the cleanliness of a house, or a classroom, you will need to police your area.

The reason I asked about the age group you will be working with, is, that with kids, you are their authority figure in the classroom, and if you are moving around, you will get a sense of your students. When kids' heads are down, their voices are muffled, or their breathing, a cough, a cleared throat, any noise like that will sound muffled.

If the classroom is adult, any slackness is on them. Your not their to train them, but to impart your information as a teacher.

It is important to stay moving around in the classroom so you know what is going on with your students, can interact them individually, plus keep the students themselves actively following you and staying engaged, rather than you being immobile up front & students staring straight ahead. Keep moving and active as you teach.

I rarely sat at my desk during a class, but used it as my base of operations, for collected assignments or other organized paperwork. Sometimes I would sit on the corner of my desk during teaching, but only for a few minutes.

Regarding the groups, as they are meeting, you can take some time to casually drift among them & pick up on their conversation, if they need any direction, have questions, etc.

Having said all the above, this classroom movement was very natural for me, as I am an active person anyway, but do what comes naturally to you, and if any of the above tips help, then great!
Judy
Sent by the LG V20 & Mailwise –