[Blindtlk] Please Help a Friend and Fellow Grad/Handler If you Can!

James Kelm jameskelm at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 02:20:24 UTC 2017

Dear fellow listers,

    I wanted to jump in here on this topic, because it has also been heavy
on my mind as of late.  I had a beloved guide dog for 13 years, but he
passed away several years ago after a joy filled life.  My wife had been
trying to talk me into getting another guide dog, but I have been extremely
hesitant!  I now live in a different state than that which I had lived with
my previous dog, and my job finances has decreased dramatically.  I hope
that this will change in the near future, but for now, the cost of having a
guide dog with very little financial support has concerned me.  I have
submitted my paperwork for a new dog now, but this issue of finances still
is a concern.  With medical issues, food, and regular grooming with a
Standard Poodle which I have to have because of allergies, the expenses can
be quite costly.  A guide dog in my opinion is not a luxury, but a medical
necessity for those who use them.  I guess that it is much like a person who
uses a wheelchair, glasses, hearing aid, etc.  But while their are a number
of ways to obtain assistance with those tools, at least where I live, I can
not even find a groomer who will give me a discounted rate.

    So while I am not in a position to help your friend financially, I do
strongly offer my emotional support to her!

Sincerely,
James