[Blindtlk] windows ten creator

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 19 10:24:45 UTC 2017

Windows 10 Creator is a major update to Windows 10. It came out in April.
There will be another update of similar size sometime this fall. It is free,
and if you have been able to keep up with JAWS (now at version 18 plus
monthly updates of its own), you will be able to use it. The Narrator screen
reader continues to be improved, but it works very differently from JAWS.
And the latest Narrator now supports braille displays.
Doing this update may take an hour or two, and your computer may reboot
several times during the process. JAWs probably won't be able to tell you
what is happening. So you may want to start up Narrator a few times. This
update changes the Narrator start keystroke from Windows-Enter to
ctrl-Windows-Enter. Apparently too many sighted people pressed Windows-Enter
and got their computer talking, then didn't know how to shut it up or what
the speech was for. So Microsoft made it a bit hardder to start Narrator. If
Narrator is talking at the same time as JAWS, you can stop Narrator with
capsLock-Escape. All of Narrator's commands use capsLock as the modifier
key, including capsLock-F1 for Narrator Help.
Hope all this helps. I remember that we met you and your husband at the NFB
convention a couple of years ago.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com