[Blindtlk] Suggestions Needed

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 15:34:17 UTC 2017

Good Morning:

I am writing to my fellow list members to ask for suggestions.  I am totally
blind and have been using Braille for all my needs since loosing my sight in
1972.  I have multiple sclerosis.  One of my most annoying symptoms is that
my fingers are getting very numb and uncoordinated.  This is making it
almost impossible for me to read Braille and daily tasks are more difficult
with numb clumbsy hands.  I am seeking ideas for labeling household goods,
keeping track of user names and passwords,  a new way to manage my phone and
address file and lots of other things that I normally do with Braille.  My
other need is a way to read print.  I have been an optacon user since 1976.
I have open book on my computer but want something more portable.  I have
considered getting a smart phone so I can use KNFB Reader but what kind of
feeling and dexterity will I need to use one effectively?  I noticed that in
the past few days I had trouble answering my home phone because I could not
feel the buttons.  Even typing on my computer is getting more challenging.
Any advice and information will be appreciated.  You can write to me off
list if you prefer and I don’t want to clutter up the list with my needs.

Sandra Johnson
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net