[Blindtlk] question on navigating electronic docs

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Jan 20 04:29:19 UTC 2018

Anne,

I saw your note on both lists but did not respond assuming somebody with
more specific experience would answer.  However, I'm sending this reply to
both lists to help avoid duplicate answers.

Unfortunately, the answers are not simple.  I do not know much about
WordPerfect documents, but I believe you can open them in Microsoft Word.
There is a mode in Microsoft Word and JAWS that gives you some ability to
navigate in a manner that is similar to the web.  If you are only having to
read WordPerfect documents, this might be an alternative.  It is more
questionable whether editing such a document and converting it back to
WordPerfect is a good idea.  There is also a "simple" or "complex" document
setting in the verbosity menu of JAWS that might help for navigating within
Word.

In general, the same navigation keys that are available on the web are also
available when reading a PDF document.  I am almost certain that you already
know that, though, so perhaps I am not understandint your question.  To have
the best chance of taking advantage of that navigation, use the "infer
reading order from document" as the reading order in the reading dialog.
Sometimes reading "Left to Right, top to bottom" gives better results, but
often it does not preserve as much of the structure.

However, hear is the downside.  None of the above will help unless the
structure exists in the documents you are reading.  You can't skip to
headings if there are no headings.  You cant use table navigation keys if
the data were not formatted as a table.  Particularly PDF documents are very
unpredictable as to the amount of document structure that has been included
in the document.

Anne, if I've missed what you were really asking, let me know.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson