[BlindTlk] rude delta staff

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Jul 16 13:27:48 UTC 2018

Brian,

Since I wrote the first response to your note and reacted out of surprise
rather than an attempt to be constructive, I'd like to take another try at
this.  I find that dealing with situations such as some of the treatment
that one can experience from the airlines after the convention to be very,
very difficult to handle.  I also flew home on Delta and observed some
behavior on their part that I truly don't understand.  There are times for
me when running into something like this causes me to react more strongly
than I would otherwise.  On the other hand, when I confront other problems
after I get home, I am able to extract some energy from the convention that
makes me more able to overcome difficulties rather than letting them
overcome me.

You and I are both heavily involved in technology.  I see many, many
challenges for us there.  Sometimes I even wonder how much progress we have
really made.  It seems sometimes as though we are having to fight so many of
the same battles over and over again.  Having said that, I firmly believe
that if it were not for the work that we do, our situation would be far
worse than it is.  While I believe sometimes that we are fighting hard just
to maintain a sort of status quo, I think we would have lost a great deal of
ground by now without the efforts we have made.  It is hard to see that
sometimes, though.

Just because President Riccobono can point to many successes during his
presidential report does not change the fact that there is a great deal of
work for us to do.  There is much that we can take for granted now that we
could not even twenty years ago, but change is so rapid that the progress is
often overshadowed by new problems that were not even recognized in the near
past.

Seeing others succeed where I am struggling is helpful to me.
Unfortunately, I don't always know what makes me react as I do.  At least
for me, there is a big difference between painting a rosy picture and
painting a picture of possibilities, of what can be.  I hope you can find a
way to see the possibilities rather than feel you have been let down.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson