[BlindTlk] How do the blind House Break?

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Jun 9 23:12:31 UTC 2018

Yes, some breeds are easier.  Housebreaking is pretty much the same for
sighted people and blind people.  You'll want to keep the dog on leash and
with you so you can monitor him.   Sighted people can see the puppy from
across the room and will notice sniffing, circling or pacing that indicate
the puppy is getting ready to go.  If you have the puppy on leash you should
be able to notice these indicators.

Very young puppies, like 8 to perhaps 12 weeks, do not have the ability to
hold it for very long.  They should go out every two hours or so during the
day.  It's unlikely that a very young puppy will be able to go a full 8
hours at night, but that shouldn't take too long to work up to.  A schedule
of feeding, water, sleep and play times will help you be able to identify
the puppies patterns and schedule accordingly.

If you are trying to housebreak an adult dog, there are likely other health
or behavior things going on.  If the dog has learned bad habits, you are
undoing that as well as teaching new good habits.  It takes some time.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>