[BlindTlk] Programs

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Nov 12 16:10:22 UTC 2018

If I have to use windows nvda.  With new equipment jaws will often have
problems with monitors since a version in use may not have that video
monitor in its data base.  I remember once while working for the Navy I
got called over to assist a technician in user services which is highly
unusual.  I had got a technology refresh and the monitor was new.  The
computer was questionable since user services regularly opened them up
and found sloppy repairs of referbished models. Jaws wouldn't install
and it wasn't the most current version of jaws either. What we had to do
was to phone freedomscientific and download the latest version of jaws,
copy the data base of monitors onto the new computer replacing the
outdated data base and then deleting the current version of jaws in
order to keep jaws working at all.  I had a similar situation earlier at
home when I tried to buy jaws for my own personal use with no employer
strings attached and again I ran into a monitor problem but that time it
was a monitor even the current version of jaws didn't know about which
meant I bought a version of window-eyes and used it for a while.   The
nvda screen reader has no need of monitor data bases because someone got
a new video monitor so no problem there and the business model is far
better.