[BlindTlk] Inclusion of the Blind

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 20:42:31 UTC 2018

Wow, I'd like to come! Are you in Skagit County? (smiles)

The blind always will get the short end of the stick, unless we advocate, participate, and relate.

One reason for this is simply demographic. There are much fewer blind person as compared to other disability groups across society. And, among the blind, there are fewer totally blind than those with vision, and the munnel widens, as you like at populations with better vision.

In one of his speeches, I remember Kenneth Jernigan stating the reason we blind need to have our own agencies is because of our numbers.

Also, I can tell you, in speaking of rehab, it is more costly to bring blind people through rehab when you're talking about buying technology, getting training, etc. It shouldn't, but it does take longer, on average, for a blind person to become employed.

Part of are problem in the rehab world, and has been for years, is cutbacks, lack of state funding. Not an excuse, but a fact.

In the scenario you're taling about, and you may already be doing this, it's important to know or find out who the blind people are in your community, and make a way of spreading the word about activities.

I empathize with you, because we lived here about a year in north Washington before we met our first blind person. We used to joke that blind people here are like extra terrestrials, or sasquach. You hear they exist, people swear up and down that they do, but you don't know anyone who has seen one. Our first blind person "sighting" was in August this year.

It's something that will take consistent communication. I'm trying to get more blind people involved with our Skagit Transit Community Advisory Council, and I'm going to have to keep it 1that until we get some.

You may not get many for this activity, but you may get one more for the nex. Then mayBe one more, and hopefully over time, you'll have more blind people.

Plus, if the accessibility isn't there for you, whatever you're doing, suggest to the group leaders inclusive activities, or ways to make existing activities accessible.

Could you hook your group up with the Blind Athletes' Association? They sponsor different athletic activities and days of sports with blind persons in mind. All you have to do is find the venue and get the people there.

Judy
sent from the BrailleSense U2 Mini