[BlindTlk] Accessible office equipment

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 03:35:53 UTC 2018

Hi, Carlos,

The easiest thing to do for the copier/scanner is to place labels where you
need them, and only on the things you need.

I'm retired now, but in our office, we had this fancy Cannon IR 2525
copier/scanner/fax.  Since I was office manager, I got acquainted with the
service person and the installer, and asked my questions.  There are
functions on that thing none of us learned, because there was not the time.
We learned only what we needed to know, which was basic scanning, copying
and faxing.

The state had purchased these for every agency office, and I did ask if it
was accessible, because there were menus you could get into with the touch
screen.  I was told it was, had speech.

What that really turned out to be was a package you could install that would
speak your selections, but not like a touch screen phone.  You would have to
point and hit.  The screen options were layered, and the sighted colleagues
didn't bother with it much either.

If appropriate in your case, learn how to fill the paper, or change the
toner.

The only way I could tell toner was low or out was by checking the print
paper with my optacon, or if a colleague mentioned their papers were really
light.  An almost empty toner cartridge will feel light, and not much powder
when you shake it.  You may never need to know these things, but in a pinch,
it might help.

For papers, since I was office manager, everything inevitably stopped at my
desk, so it got brailled on at the bottom.  Date, and what it was.

When I first started the job, I used some reader hours to braille label
files and inventory, but that was about it.

The equipment I used was a computer, my note taker, we all used a typewriter
from time to time, and I would type sticky notes with it, or fill out the
office deposit.  We all used it to address envelopes, because it took more
time to load that big Cannon and get it done than to simply type it.

I also used an optacon, sadly not being manufactured anymore, but it takes
care of the jobs OCR can't touch, plus enabled me to find signature lines,
where to date stamp, disseminate mail, etc.  It saved me hours of reader
services.  I also had a scanner with OpenBook, which I used on larger
documents to get the information, but I used the optacon the most for
getting those spot tasks done.

If you are going to have to sign loads of papers, it might be a good idea to
invest in a signature stamp.  Your company may have a place they already use
for that purpose.  It will save you lots of time in the long-run.

Best wishes.