[BlindTlk] Question about societal attitudes toward blindness

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 17:41:30 UTC 2019

That’s pretty innovative Judy! The state school here in Wisconsin is pretty much an entity unto itself just as the deaf school in another community. There are blind kids in Janesville that attend as day students, but cited kids never show up on the grounds. Many of the kids spend a part of their day in the local public schools but it depends on a lot of things. So I’m go full-time, some girl part time and some never leave the state school. I don’t know what all the criteria is. I know that the state schools are more often having multiply handicapped kids these days. But back in the 80s the educational opportunities were not to good at the state school. The high partials got to go to public school or those who had been in public school before they came to the state school. Those who struggled at their public school didn’t get the opportunities to go to public school in Janesville with the state schools support when they had acquired some more skills like travel.

As always, you never know what you’re going to get because staff changes and it could be for the better or not.

Ericka Nelson