[BlindTlk] Question about societal attitudes toward blindness

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Fri Apr 26 00:05:41 UTC 2019

Although I haven't read it, I would recommend reading "Crashing Through" by
Mike May, which is available as a talking book on BARD. I knew him while he
was studying here in DC in the late 70's and participated in the DC NFB
chapter. Having functioned as a quite independent blind person for a long
time, he had an operation that brought his vision back to around 20/60
(according to measurements). Functionally his vision didn't work quite as
well as the measurements indicated, but it worked well enough that he
learned to do a lot of things using vision. He has been involved with the
Sendero company that makes accessible GPS software for various platforms.
Anyway, I think his book would be a good one to read.

Michael Hingson's book is called Thunder Dog." In addition to his harrowing
experience on 9/11, people may not realize that he had a lot to do with the
NFB's involvement in development of the first Kurzweil Reading Machines in
the late 70's, helping the engineers who worked on the project to design an
audible user interface that would work for the average blind person.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD