[BlindTlk] French Coffee Press.

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Thu Dec 19 23:56:12 UTC 2019

Judy,

You'll like the result.
If you get a french press, get a double-sided stainless steel press.
That way you don't have tempered glass that will break if the press gets
dropped and the double sided french press insulates the coffee so it
stays warmer for longer.
Now here's how they're operated.
One of the things you'll need is a small wooden spoon if you must get a
press with glass in it.  If you get an all stainless steel model you'll
need a long handled metal spoon.  The reason for the wooden spoon is so
you don't break the glass.
First thing to figure on is the amount of coffee to put in the bottom of
the press.
I use a quarter cup for two large mugs of coffee and that's about what
my press yields.
You pull the lid plunger combination out of the press and have a pot
with a handle and a spout in which to put that coffee which is dry out
of the bag or can.  Coffee cans are better for storing coffee than bags
since you end up spilling less when getting it out.
Once your coffee is in the bottom of the press put your plunger and
spoon next to the press pot.
With a tea kettle bring water to a boil and if it's electric like mine
is the kettle will click when water is finished boiling.
After it clicks wait 1 minute to let the water get down to 195F and then
pour boiling water over coffee in press up to an inch from the top of
the press.
Then use the spoon in the press and stir the coffee and water for 1
minute.
Next take the plunger and lid assembly and line the dent in the bottom
inner edge of the lid up with the spout on the press pot. and put the
lid completely on the press.
Then put a hand on the plunger which will be up above the lid and in its
center and press down once until you hear one piece of metal click on
the other piece of metal in the bottom of the pot.  Sometimes easy
sometimes not but press slowly.
A screen is in the plunger and once you've pressed most of the coffee
grounds got moved to the bottom of the press where they'll stay until
you throw the grounds into your garden or around your plants.
Then it's time to pour coffee into a cup from that press.
When the press is empty pull the plunger when cooled and clean it in the
sink.  You'll find the grounds in the bottom of the press and when I
toss them in the garden bed I have to use fingers of one hand to get
most of them out of the press and onto the bed.  The grounds are a
pesticide and earthworms tend to make ground popular when those grounds
get into them and that makes plants grow better.  If you use a wooden
spoon never wash it with soap since the spoon eventually will absorb the
flavor of the soap.

I hope this helps.
Military families like these very much since it takes very little time
to get good coffee from them and the taste change will be noticeable
from using paper filters.  Screens for the plungers can be bought where
you buy the press and it's time to replace a screen when you start
getting too many grounds in your teeth.
Maybe not if someone can read coffee grounds for you and tell you about
future events then you'd need a few to help the reading.
If you get a burr grinder that can grind and hold a quarter cup of
coffee and do it from the beans and put those grounds in the french
press then the coffee gets even better.