[BlindTlk] FW: [GTTsupport] We're Not Lovin' It!

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Jun 21 05:39:45 UTC 2019

Original Message:
From: "Albert Ruel" <albertruel at gmail.com>
To: GTTsupport at groups.io
Subject: [GTTsupport] We're Not Lovin' It!
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2019 16:43:08 -0700

We're Not Lovin' It!
Date Written: Jun 13, 2019 at 5:00 PM
Date Saved: 6/20/19, 4:41 PM
Source: https://nfb.org/blog/were-not-lovin-it

The National Federation of the Blind helps me and other blind people live
the life we want, and McDonald's has been a tasty part of my life for
decades. However, recent events may result in me having to change the
jingle to "Ba Da Ba Ba Bah, I'm Not Lovin' It!" As part of a field trip
during one of our STEM programs for blind youth, I took two blind students
to the local McDonald's. To my surprise, there were kiosks on the counter.
At first, I was excited to be able to demonstrate accessible kiosk
equipment to these budding young blind engineers, but I quickly realized
that McDonald's chose to use inaccessible technology. Other customers that
arrived after us simply used the kiosk to place their orders and received
their meals long before we were finally able to get a cashier to take our
order. Needless to say, this meal was a little less tasty, and I must
consider whether McDonald's will be a part of my life in the coming
decades.
CNBC reports that McDonald's recently announced the opening of its
flagship store in Manhattan. However, if you "Take a look inside McDonald's
new Times Square flagship," you will realize that blind and low vision
customers have been left behind. It is stated that, "The location showcases
the modern updates that McDonald's has been bringing to its U.S. stores. It
boasts digital menu boards, eighteen self-order kiosks and wireless mobile
charging stations at tables." Unfortunately, McDonald's missed a
significant opportunity with the introduction of the new technology because
none of the kiosks are accessible to the blind.
Technology exists today to make the information and point of sale kiosks
accessible to the blind through the use of speech and Braille. This
technology is not cost prohibitive, or difficult to implement. The
resources used to design and develop this flagship location could have
easily included the implementation of accessible kiosk technology.
Moreover, the accessible technology would have made the software and
related devices more usable and effective for use by seniors losing vision,
individuals with learning disabilities, among others.
In the past, McDonald's was an industry leader for promoting disability
awareness and accessibility by adding Braille to their product packaging,
and by featuring blind people in their advertising. Unfortunately, instead
of moving forward as a leader, McDonald's has chosen to get out of the race
by discontinuing the use of Braille, and overlooking the implementation of
the technology that would make the kiosks accessible to the blind.
As the National Federation of the Blind works with our partners to
continue the development and implementation of accessible kiosk technology,
we encourage McDonald's to join us and reclaim their place as a leader in
promoting awareness, accessibility, and inclusion of people with
disabilities.
-Anil Lewis

Thx, Albert

View/Reply Online (#19107): https://groups.io/g/GTTsupport/message/19107