[BlindTlk] Something is bugging me!

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue May 7 21:29:10 UTC 2019

Hello Jim,

Since the ants usually live outside even when the pest control folks spray
for them inside and outside, they still come back.
One can purchase poison sprays and powders, or hire pest control folks to
spray, but ants usually keep returning seasonally. My pest control guy told
me that they typically can never eradicate the ants. They just deal with
each invasion as it comes.

We have dealt with nests outside, had the pest control guy put stuff along
the foundations numerous times, sprayed using store-bought sprays, used
various ant powders, inside and out, all to no long-term avail.

Personally, I don't like having all those poisonous concoctions in my
environment.
So, since none of them seem to work better than the nontoxic alternatives, I
have opted to mix up my own nontoxic solution.

I mix up about half a cup of water with two teaspoons of sugar and two
teaspoons of borax.
Then, I pour that liquid onto a slice of bread which I place on a piece of
plastic wrap. This makes it easy for the ants to climb onto.
I leave this out on the counter for a couple of days.
The ants take crumbs of the wet bread back to their nest and they die from
eating it.
I just leave it out in the area where the ants were seen running about.
It usually only takes a couple of days. The bread is usually dried out by
then, I have a very warm dry kitchen.
If I want it out a day or so longer and the bread is dry, I just tip a bit
more of the mixture on it.
I buy the borax at my local supermarket.

Also, I have heard that leaving out plain, dry oatmeal is also effective,
since the ants eat it and then it swells up inside them and kills them.
I am going to try this solution and see if it works.
I'll keep you posted.
Let us all know what you try and what works. :)

Warmly,
Heather