[BlindTlk] FW: OurRefuge New SSI bill that is being discussed

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Oct 4 22:35:26 UTC 2019

Original Message:
From: "Daisy" <shoppingqueen1107 at gmail.com>
To: <ourrefuge at googlegroups.com>
Subject: OurRefuge New SSI bill that is being discussed
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2019 09:18:47 -0400

I'm praying for this and I think the below would be great.  I know a
couple, who have been together for 20 years, but live in separate homes and
were never allowed to have children because of the SS laws.  If you are
both on SSI , and get married, the woman loses her's and you are forced to
both live off of his.  They couldn't afford to do that, so they are still a
couple, they just don't live in the same home, nor were they able to start
a family.  It's sad.  This law was designed to prevent the disabled from
getting married, in hopes of stopping us from reproducing.  It was too thin
out the herd so to speak.  Pretty bad.  Here's the article.
A bill introduced in Congress would give more flexibility to people
receiving Supplemental Security Income benefits. (Disability Scoop)

People with disabilities who receive Supplemental Security Income would
be allowed to keep substantially more assets and would no longer be
penalized for marrying under a new proposal.

Currently, in order to retain benefits, SSI recipients generally can have
no more than $2,000 to their name at any given time.

Lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives are looking to
significantly increase that ceiling, with a bill introduced this month that
would raise SSI's asset limit to $10,000 for an individual and $20,000 for
couples.

In addition, the Supplemental Security Income Restoration Act, or H.R.
4280, would increase the amount of disregarded income that beneficiaries
can take in each month. And, the bill would repeal penalties for marrying
or receiving financial, food and housing assistance from family members.

Backers say the time has come to update Social Security's SSI program,
which has remained largely static since 1972.

"This issue is one I have heard about directly from autism advocates and
families in our district, particularly parents preparing for children with
disabilities to transition into adulthood," said Rep. Elissa Slotkin,
D-Mich., who introduced the measure along with Rep. Raúl Grijalva, D-Ariz.
"This bill brings the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program's outdated
limits up to speed with inflation - a common-sense adjustment that will
make a huge difference for
individuals and families caring for someone with disabilities."