[BlindTlk] Braille books in old old

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 6 13:42:48 UTC 2019

Thinking about the Optacon sure jogs some old memories. It was developed in
a very optimistic time, and although I think it was somewhat oversold in
terms of what it could do, it did open doors that weren't open before. Steve
Jacobson's note provides a wonderful history. I used the unit to examine the
screen of an oscilloscope. I also had the calculator lens, and I used a
scientific calculator long before even the basic ones talk.

But the idea that I would ever read a book or a long memo just never
happened. My left finger would itch profusely if I left it for long on the
vibrating pins. My right arm got tired of holding the camera and trying to
track. Many of us who loved to read and wanted to read print thought we were
experiencing a dream come true, and I remember feeling as though I didn't
really want to talk about my own lack of progress given the money that had
gone into helping me get all of the equipment. What I soon found through the
Braille Monitor was that I was not alone. In some cases the unit was
magical; but it would not let me or anyone else do significant amounts of
reading.

I think it does serve an interesting need, but people who explore the
business case probably believe that it will be far too small to service.